Author Topic: Stance Modifier for TPE dolls  (Read 1547 times)

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
Stance Modifier for TPE dolls
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Now I know you can get a TPE doll with a standing option, because my doll has it  ;D 
However there are times she maybe posed in an odd position, or have 5" heels   ;)
I also just wanted a bit of safety, or for later on down the road when she loosens up.

First thing she needs is access to the nut that is welded on her back.
I asked Annie at Unique Dolls if the factory could put in an eye bolt, and fill in around it.
The nut is there for locating the skeleton in the mold, and is filled in after the doll is out.
The nut is an 8mm x 1.25 thread.

The idea of a Stance Modifier is to relocate the center of gravity from her back to her centerline above her head.
This will make the doll stand straight instead of hunched forward. To do this I bent up a piece of 1/4" x 1" flat bar stock.
The bar has to be tight at her back, or she won't stand straight. That's why there is a nut to tighten the bar to the screw.
I will cut the screw down so it will be tighter to her back. This is the first time using it.
Since the bolt is further down than other dolls I made the modifier more low profile to fit under her blouse.

With cutting an inch off the screw the modifier will be right up tight to her back,
and will hardly push out her top. Even with short hair it will disappear.
I bent the bar out from her head so there is room to tilt her head back some.
The top sticks out about 4" from the mount at her back. That is difference from her center to the back.

There you have it. Now she can hang with the rest of the dolls  8)

Already eyeing the big top  :scold:

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Stance Modifier for TPE dolls
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:35:41 PM »
Outstanding bit of kit you have devised there Incred! To me, the critical question is if this can work with any TPE doll, or only those that have had a certain mod performed on them?
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

Begog

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 02:31:12 AM »
Great shots!  :thumb:

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:45:28 AM »
Bel ,you can feel the nut through the TPE, well at least on the doll I modded way back .
Sadly Ting did not survive but heres a photo .

Nut is an 8mm, this may not apply to all TPE dolls though.

And for incred, the skeleton on Ting was made of very good quality stainless steel. a magnet would not stick to it.

for album click the pic

redroomdolls2

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »
Cheers.  That is pretty impressive piece of work. Simple, but does the trick

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
Hey Ray:  You must be careful when attempting to use that nut to hold a doll, I have modified two WM dolls and they also had the nut, it is used to position the skeleton in the mold. But on both of the WM dolls that I modified the nut was just tacked on very poorly I might add, in fact to remove it I threaded a 2" long 8mm bolt through it to break the tacks and then simply twisted through the other tack. I dare say it would not have supported the dolls for very long!
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
Sooooooo........ I get that there is a nut or a bolt or something in that general area. And I also get that I would have to make a cut/incision into my doll to gain access to it.

Bottom line question: Once the cut is made, I can just screw in a stance modifier and I'm good to go? Or is other work required to use a stance modifier?

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
That is it. I would be gentile when screwing in the bolt. Once the bolt bottoms out don't keep tightening, and don't shock it too much in case you might break the weld. I would make sure the doll has most of her weight on the ground, and just use the modifier to keep her from falling over. When making the cut maybe you can see the nut to see how good the weld is.

I do hang the doll by the bolt, but I asked the factory to make the weld stronger.

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:34 AM »
What exactly do you mean by
That is it.

What you just said there, to me, equates to a total "no-go".

If I must be especially careful when putting the bolt in, in the first place, that is a problem.

If I must use special care when moving the doll with the bolt in place, that is a problem.

If I must make sure that the doll is supporting most of the weight on the rest of their body and not the neck/hanging bolt, that is a problem.

If I must cut the doll open to even tell if the thing I want to do is possible, much less check its relative (and highly subjective strength), that is a problem.

Hand I known that I could ask for something like this to be included with doll, I totally would have. I suspect in those ancient days before RealDoll offered neck bolts as standard, many purchasers felt cheated when it was a new option, as I do now. But you had the forethought to ask about this, I did not. A welded-on option is a poor substitute for a feature included from the beginning, but it is better than nothing.

Based on your comments, this is NOT something my doll can do with any degree of safety and durability. That disappoints me greatly.

This is not intended to be incendiary or hostile, but there are some opinions expressed that do not agree with what I consider to be good doll safety or longevity practices. If i had the money, or the feeling of financial freedom to experiment with a doll in a disposable nature, I would totally give this a try. But to claim anything in this chain of information with no certainties, clarifications of circumstance or equivalencies, I can neither condone nor recommend anything pertaining to your TPE stance modifier connection method.

The stance modifier itself is a fine improvement over past designs and a solid evolution of the concept. I only take umbrage with the connection method.

I WILL happily eat my words if proven wrong.   

That is it. I would be gentile when screwing in the bolt. Once the bolt bottoms out don't keep tightening, and don't shock it too much in case you might break the weld. I would make sure the doll has most of her weight on the ground, and just use the modifier to keep her from falling over. When making the cut maybe you can see the nut to see how good the weld is.

I do hang the doll by the bolt, but I asked the factory to make the weld stronger.

Ray Rentell

• Sr. Resident
  • reality is never what it seems!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 03:29:21 AM »
These threads may help you mod your dolls .

Please note in the text that the drill went through the tube both sides and the resulting holes where tapped/threaded.
Had no trouble with the mod although the soft hanging bolt did bend .

Muzza also did this mod , its in the second link

hope that helps

http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=8426.msg106135#msg106135
http://ourdollcommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=8641.msg108530#msg108530
for album click the pic

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
When ordering my doll I asked if the factory if they could drill and tap the skeleton with the welded nut, and to make the hole all the way through. I did see Rays and Muzza's thread on their modification. However all the factory could do is leave access to the nut.

I had planned to drill and tap the holes myself, but haven't yet. I may still because Im not totally positive the factory did a good job on the weld.

Also I'm finding out this doll is really stiff including the upper body. Meaning a modifier isn't neccessory to make her stand straight. She may need it if she loosens up, but for now just an eye bolt will keep her from falling over.

If you want to use the eye bolt I would drill and tap through the welded nut like Ray did. This will take the stress off the nut and distribute it to the skeleton.

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
WOW! Great work Incred. It puts them in a much better position. Many times when dolls are held upright it looks like they're leaning too far forward.

wilkrod

• New Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 06:17:01 PM »
Hi all,
Well I did the stance enhancer and it was fine for awhile, however last night while moving Eva for a different pose , the nut broke , damn!!
Any suggestions on how to re-do the stance enhancer? Maybe drill thru the backbone, and getting a nut on the other side for a threaded bolt?
Thanks
Jeff

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
Sorry to hear that the weld didn't hold. I guess they didn't do a very good job, but they only need the nut for locating the skeleton in the mold. guess they don't need to hang the doll from it.

I think it would be a easy fix though. They make a tool called a Nutsert. It is for putting a nut behind metal that you can't access otherwise. Basically drill a hole, insert the nut with a tool that looks and acts like a pop rivet tool. Compress the nutsert, and  your ready to thread in a bolt. Here is the tool and nutserts; https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_asi_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anutsert&keywords=nutsert&ie=UTF8&qid=1520985673

The tool usually looks like a pop rivet tool, but I found one that uses wrenches, and is only $15.50; https://www.amazon.com/Rivnut-Insert-Setting-Tool-Nutsert/dp/B01N425E7K/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1520986439&sr=8-25&keywords=nutsert

That would be the cheapest way to go since it would probably be the only time you would ever use it

wilkrod

• New Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 06:02:26 PM »
Incred,
Thanks so much, I never thought of a nutsert.
As luck would have it I use them extensively on my lotus.
As a matter of fact that red box you see in the background is my nutsert tool, and inserts!
I will go ahead and try it tonight.
Regards
Jeff