Author Topic: Help with IE on Windows 10  (Read 596 times)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
Help with IE on Windows 10
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
     The latest Windows "Creators Update" for Windows 10 is apparently blocking Internet Explorer cookies from ODC Chat. After the "Creators Update"  I could not maintain my Chat Preferences. I had to reset them every time I logged into ODC chat with Internet Explorer. (see Notes below) After the Windows 10 "Features Update" on 6 Nov 2017 I cannot log into ODC chat on Internet Explorer at all. I can log into the forum as usual.

Notes: I can access the forum and chat with Google Chrome on Windows 10, but there are no chat sounds.
   I tried the chat room from my website (both forums) on Windows 10 and it worked as it should. This only perplexes me more.
   I still have full access to ODC chat on the Windows 7 computer with Internet Explorer.
   I once tried to access the ODC forum with Windows 10 and the Edge browser. Neither the formatting buttons nor the smiley buttons work when posting or replying to a topic.

If you are a fan of Windows Mail (WinMail.exe) that came with Windows Vista (which I still use on Windows 7), there is more bad news.

Vista WinMail is no longer able to be reinstated on Windows 10 beyond version 1703 build 16193.  Microsoft has removed the OE legacy code of WinMail, see within article here: Features removed or deprecated in Windows 10

I checked my directory at C:\Program Files\Windows Mail to find that WinMail.exe had been removed. Attempts to reinstate it have been unsuccessful.

??? ??? ???
"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
   Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

ttnlbtpd

• Sr. Resident
Re: Help with IE on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »
I've also been having trouble with this website using IE11. I frequently have to reload pages as they stop responding. The same happens on other pages but I notice it here most often.
Tough Times Never Last But Tough People Do!
Gallery: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12735

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
That's Windows 10.

I've used the forum virtualdr.com they've been extremely helpful over the last 11 years with fixing my tech problems.

Unfortunately their correct answer to you issue may just be, "That's Windows 10." With many Windows 10 issues there is no work around.

For example, about three years ago ALL Windows based computers had their CD drives simply stop working after a Windows update! Windows 7 users had to delete the update and block all future updates or continue to delete the CD drive update on a regular basis. Windows 8 and 8.1 did get a work around, but Windows 10 users were SOL!!! No more CD based games or programs for them!

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:26 PM »
The Fall 2017 Creators Update, or whatever it is called is more or less a disaster. Revert back to the prior version of windows and all will be well. Wait a little while and then do the following update in a few weeks. They should have it fixed by then.
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »
Get an iPad.
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

j.biv

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:29:32 AM »
Sorry, but I can't help you. I use Chrome, Firefox, and Opera for my browsing. I wish you all the best with your difficulties. I know how tech problems can be having been 'in the business' for 25 years.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:07:24 AM »
     I have two Dell computers and one Gateway. The Gateway computer is hopelessly out of date and I never use it, even for my DOS games. It is basically a museum piece.

What I call 'my computer' is a Dell Inspiron 530 built in 2009. It has Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with Internet Explorer 11 and Google Chrome Version 62.0.3202.89. (Chrome updated when I checked Help -> About Google Chrome.) I can access ODC chat on that machine with Internet Explorer. I can access ODC chat with Google Chrome, but chat sounds do not work.

The Inspiron 530 has two internal hard drives. I put Windows 10 on the second hard drive when it first came out and have never liked it since. I change the BIOS setting on computer start-up (or warm reboot) to boot into Windows 10. On Windows 7, I use the second hard drive for storage.

What I call 'Feodora's computer' is a Dell XPS 8920 built in July 2017.  It has Windows 10 Home 64 bit with Internet Explorer 11 and Google Chrome Version 62.0.3202.89. The XPS 8920 uses "Intel® Optaneâ„¢ Memory" and a "16GB Intel® Optaneâ„¢ memory accelerated 1TB 7200 RPM HDD" which the sales ad claims need Windows 10 to run. Dell representatives stated that putting Windows 7 on the XPS 8920 will void the warranty. Like it or not, I am stuck with Windows 10 on that machine.

As I mentioned in my original post, I can access the newer version of Blueimp's Ajax Chat at Arimecibo Island with Internet Explorer 11 on the XPS 8920 (Windows 10). I can access chat there with Google Chrome, but chat sounds do not work. I cannot access ODC chat with Internet Explorer 11 on the XPS 8920 (Windows 10). For now, I will only chat on ODC from the Inspiron 530 with Windows 7.

I use the DAZ Studio computer graphics program, which runs on both computers. Some of the DAZ models that I have do not run well on the Inspiron 530 with DAZ Studio 4.8. The XPS 8920 computer has DAZ Studio 4.10. I can use all of my content without having to re-download the models in the new format. The program also runs much faster with the larger RAM capacity and speed.

:-X :-\ :-X

betamkii

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:32:07 AM »
Chat uses Flash for sounds, so first, make sure Flash is updated. You can get the most recent version here. Just make sure to uncheck the additional offers.

If that doesn't work, it might be because Chrome is blocking Flash, but this is a guess, as I don't use Chrome. There might be a way around it by either disabling the block or adding chat to a white list.

I can't help you with IE. The only thing I ever use it for is to download another browser (Firefox in my case). Have you tried using Edge (the IE replacement) or Firefox?
Owner of a Sinthetics 2D Alicia/Celeste - 12/12/16

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 08:50:35 PM »
betamkii,

I do thank you for your suggestions. I use Internet Explorer almost exclusively. I only use Google Chrome when absolutely necessary. I do not have Firefox or Opera. Another browser is just a waste of space, and I have no desire to 'get used to' another format.

I did check to see if Flash was enabled on Chrome. This page helped:
Enable Adobe Flash Player in IE, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera. After I post this reply, I will check Chrome with ODC chat.

I have had (what is now Adobe) Flash since Windows 98. It updates often, so that is not the answer. I checked Microsoft's Edge browser about a year ago and discovered that it cannot use the formatting buttons (Bold, Italics, Underline, etc.) or smileys in the Post or Reply windows for SMF forums. For now, I can use Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11 to access the forum, gallery, and chat.

There are others out there who only have one device to access the internet, and who have Windows 10. If neither of Microsoft's browsers can properly handle the forum, gallery, and chat, then they will be forced to seek other browsers. Sooner or later, KA will have to update the ancient software used at ODC.

:'( :-X :'(

Stephanie Doll

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »
The major problems with electronics today have caused many situations just like yours where people are forced to used multiple devices because certain features of certain programs only work with certain settings.

This is because EVERY company from Google, Microsoft, Adobe, and Apple (just to name a few) want total control over every aspect of your computer life. Why? So they can sell you more junk or rather sell your PERSONAL information to other companies.

For example, you watch a video on YouTube (or ANY similar site) about baseball. That information is now sold to other companies ready to blast you with ads relating to baseball.

A real life example is how I watched a video which featured Peter Gabriel's song 'Big Time' in the background. For the next TWO MONTHS I was blasted with adds about how I should subscribe to multiple music services so I could download 'Big Time.' Note how I hadn't even searched for the title of the song or Peter Gabriel the song had just played in the background of the movie!

Some of this is downright comical. Watch ANY video relating to Spider-Man in ANY WAY on YouTube and a pop up will appear that Spider-Man was "inspired by Disney." WHAT THE FUCK? Marvel and Disney were rival comic book companies in 1962!!! The only reason Stan Lee isn't massacring everyone at Disney is because Marvel was bought out by Revlon and merged with several other companies which are financially linked to Disney. Disney owns the rights to Star Wars but that doesn't mean Walt Disney created Star Wars or Spiderman.

This is the sole purpose of Google Chrome which is why I only use Google Chrome at work. It seems convenient to consolidate everything online. But the reality is Google wants to control all your information. They'll direct you towards what programs and features to use. Many times features for programs don't work because Google Chrome's settings are problematic but sometimes it's intentional! Google doesn't want you using programs or visiting website by companies that haven't paid THEM MONEY. This is similar to why restraints don't sell Coke and Pepsi. They can't have contracts with both.

All these companies sharing information leaves people wide open for identity theft. It would be like all the major banks allowing all of their vaults to have the same key. It makes it easier for a theft to steal from more banks.

For example, you sign up for an email account with Google which asks you all your personal information like date and city of birth and sets a secret question like your mother's maiden name and your fist pet and the last for digits of your social. Now Google shares that information with other companies and someone at one of those thousands of companies steals your identity! They have total proof they're you. Google has given them all your information. It also makes it easier to for them to locate information they don't have about you. Even if they don't have your SS# they can certainly get into your email which may have that information.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
    I discovered another problem caused by the Windows 10 Updates. I have a hard-wired Ethernet-based home network for my two Dell computers. (I do not trust wireless networks, especially in an apartment building.) The Updates trashed my shared directories, and I had to reset them. I discovered this while attempting to back up DAZ models and ReadMe files. In their attempt to 'improve' security, Microsoft has made life harder for their customers. If there is a "Fuckup Award", Microsoft has earned it big-time! In fact, "Cluster-Fuck" seems more appropriate.

Added 16 Nov 2017

The Dell Inspiron 530 (Windows 7) can read from and write to all of the shared directories and files on the Dell XPS 8920 (Windows 10) as before the Update. As of another Update yesterday (15 Nov 2017), the Dell XPS 8920 can 'see' the shared directories on the Dell Inspiron 530, but cannot access them. Windows Explorer lists them on the Navigation pane ("Folders", left side), but cannot read the files. Some research dug this up:

"Note: HomeGroup will go away in a future update to Windows 10, ..."

Dear Microsoft,

If it ain't broke, don't fuck with it!

Apparently there are two ways to share files on a home-based (or work-based) intranet. Here they are: Windows 10 file sharing

Use the "Sharing files using File Explorer" method. The "Sharing to your HomeGroup" method has been "deprecated".

:scold: :scold: :scold:

Everhard

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 12:11:16 PM »
A bit off-topic, but I bought a new Windows 10 computer this year. On the second day, I encountered the 'black screen with mouse cursor' phenomenon; a known fault cured by clearing a check box deep in the operating system. I managed it, but the proverbial little old lady with her first computer would not even know how to find the solution, let alone act on it. What gets me is that there were three main opportunities to prevent this known fault causing non-working computers being shipped:
1. Microsoft could have fixed it in the operating system as shipped.
2. Hewlett Packard (in my case) could have done the same while pressuring M$ to do it.
3. The shop I bought it from, one of the UK's main computer retailers with trained staff, could have done it while pressuring HP to do it...
 >:(
(HP generated an automatic feedback solicitation form, which I duly completed, stating the above.)

Then I had the automatic updates unable to install problem, followed every time by automatic uninstall. Eventually, somebody at M$ (I assume) turned off automatic updates for several weeks. They resumed automatic updates a few days ago and all is fine now.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
     I did download and run that HomeGroup Reset troubleshooter in the article. It did restore my lost intranet (Home Network) directory shares on the XPS 8920. Before it was like looking through what is inappropriately called a two-way mirror, where you can see through one side but not the other.

Since all of this was on "Feodora's computer", she taught me some new Russian cuss words in the process. I think she made up some new ones to apply to this situation.

:-\ :-X :-\

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
     This topic started out as "Help with IE on Windows 10", but since those problems were caused by Windows 10 Updates, the focus has shifted.

The "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" eliminated Homegroup as promised. Since I only have the two computers, I "left" the Homegroup on my Windows 7 computer. The Update also reverted my wallpaper to the default blue "Window" ( WTF?) and destroyed my home network connections again (WTF? x 2). The Home Network connections were made through Windows Explorer on the Windows 7 computer and File Explorer on the Windows 10 computer. (same program, different name) See Computers can't see each other after upgrade to 1803 for fixes. See also Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10.

I had to reset some of the shared folders on both computers. I used to see my User Accounts on the other computer at \\{computer name}\Users\{User Account Name}, but that disappeared on both machines. I had similar problems after the last Windows Update (November 2017). Sharing files on a home network used to be a piece of cake. Now it is a Pain In The Ass. I expect this will be a regular PITA for future Windows 10 Updates. I might have to go back to the days when I would physically carry files across the room.

:-X :( :-X

Update 17 May 2018

Reposted from TenForums: I had the two-way mirror, no access syndrome (Home Network over Ethernet). After finally getting my Windows 7 computer (Dell Inspiron 530, purchased in 2009) and my Windows 10 computer (Dell XPS 8920, purchased in 2017) to even see each other, I did manage to get them to actually talk to each other. Thanks to those who helped on the Windows Ten forum (linked above) with their tips and suggestions.

For the Windows 7 computer, I had to un-Share and then re-Share most, but not all of my shared directories ("Folders"). A few were still shared on both machines. For the Windows 10 computer, the process was simpler, but still annoying.

I propose that we coin a new curse word for Microsoft Windows Update. Let us call it "MSWUP" (pronounced mis-wup) for any FUBAR created by an update that is supposed to "Make your Windows Experience easier and more productive".

>:( :( >:(

Szalinski

• Sr. Resident
  • Reality is for those with no imagination.
    • Chris'Z Corner
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
I'm using Win 7 (64 bit) and have had no troubles with updates. But then I only take the security ones so that might have something to do with it. For the web I use Epic (Chrome with it's inherent spyware removed). So sorry, can't help either other than suggesting you avoid the problems altogether rather that trying to fix them.
Heaven help me, I have been dating a real human female.
.........And enjoying it!

My cross country bike ride | Flickr albums for my dolls