Author Topic: Attention, site transfer 19 March - Monday - Wednesday  (Read 629 times)

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
Attention, site transfer 19 March - Monday - Wednesday
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
ODC will be read-only from 19 March to 21 March. It will still be up, but anything posted during that time most likely will not be kept.
Please plan accordingly.

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
  • Old enough to play with dolls
Re: Attention, site transfer 19 March - Monday - Wensday
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:15:51 PM »
Thank you for the heads up and all you guys do to keep this boat afloat!  :thumb:

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
    • Five Lines - Four Spaces
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »
     It is unclear what ourdoll1 means by "site transfer". If the site is moving to another server on the same web host, there should not be a problem ( <-- famous last words ). If the site is moving to another web host, it could take 24 hours for the Domain Name Servers (DNS) to find Our Doll Community. To most members and guests, it will appear that ODC is offline. If ODC chat is down, meet at Arimecibo Island Chat. Follow these links for more information:

Server Transfer Mystery
Inodes: How and why
How It All Works (software used on this website)

Edited 26 Apr 2018

8) 8) 8)
"Home isn't a place. It's the people in it. And they will always be with you!"
   Andrew J. West as Henry Mills

Trixie and Dixie are Private Secretary inflatable dolls.
Esperanza is a Tera Patrick inflatable doll.
see my gallery for their pictures

Feodora is an Anatomical Doll, Face 3 Body 3 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4

litlluvr

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:51:42 AM »
Basically what is happening is certain main parts that make up ODC are being moved to other server drives so
that they are no longer are all on one server drive. This has been causing us to have problems such as the "505"
errors some of you may have experienced in chat. We are also suffering from what is called a extremely high
Inode count due to ODC growing and more & more pics being loaded into the Gallery. Our server service will no
longer do automatic backups of ODC until we get the inode count back down. Each time a pic is loaded into the
Gallery, we lose 3 inodes. I forgot how much we were allotted when we started with the new server service, but
we are way over that amount currently.

If all goes well and we do get the Inode count back down and the automatic backups start happening again, Ourdoll-1
(Creator & Person In Charge of ODC...) is looking at updating the software for the major parts of the forum. But this
cannot be done until we can get backups going again.

This is only a "Nutshell" explanation. Hopefully Ourdoll-1 can chime in with more details.

Take care everyone. litlluvr.

crazycajun

• Sr. Resident
  • Making the World a Doll friendlier Place!
    • MissAtleur
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 04:21:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! And thank everyone for their hard work in keeping this place up for us all!  :)
CrazyCajun and the Girls!

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
The switch is to solve all the inode problems for good, and boost up the speed of ODC. The reason it is going to take 3 days - is so ODC WILL be on line that time for reference. The old site will be staying up until the new one has been transferred and verified everything is good.

And Everyone, please use Noque's Arimecibo Island Chat. During those three days.

Euchre

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
Will the picture attachments option be turned back on after this then?

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »

And Everyone, please use Noque's Arimecibo Island Chat. During those three days.

For our gratitude, we will sponsor Open Bar and free wings, Tuesday, March 20, From 7-10 PM.
Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

ourdoll1

• Mayor
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
I don't friggin believe this....
I thought the last transfer was a fiasco, I learned the hard way it could be worse....

First it went well, March 20, The sever people reported the transfer was complete. Great! I went through the site to verify it, and found problems. I reported the problems. It took a week to fix them. I went to reverify it to be sure everything was OK - my temp access key was out of date, It was friday night, so I had to wait until the weekend before anyone saw my request. Wednesday that next week I called due to I hadn't gotten another key. I finally got it that next friday. Ok, I verified the site OK to pu on line, but the data bases needed to be updated.

Got a notice the next Tuesday. transfer complete. Cool.

But it wasn't I finally figured out we were still on the old site. Tried the ticket system to ask WTF? no answer. So I called, I was told the transfer was finished. It took a while  but I found out the transfer was done, but it wasn't put on line. 

At this point I wanted to smack someone. I got pretty verbal and read the original transfer agreement to them. Some monkey did the transfer and called it good, but the agreement was AFTER the transfer was done (Not on line) THEN the data bases needed to be updated THEN the site was to be put on line. '*Oh we can do that*

So the new site was put on line, missing the the last month's worth of data (Pics/ posts and other stuff) The data did come on briefly, then dropped off again.

I swear these people can't walk and chew gum at the same time  :-[

Anyway, the new site is up, and I'm going to call AGAIN to see if the old data bases are still there.

We'll see what happens

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
Re: Attention, site transfer 19 March - Monday - Wednesday
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 09:13:58 AM »
     As a member of this forum (not an owner, manager, or IT professional), I do wish to express my thanks to ourdoll1 (affectionately known as KA) for trying to make this a better place for the membership.

Other members are asked to be patient while KA deals with these problems. Neither he, nor any member of Our Doll Community management was involved in the actual work of the transfer. We can see from his post above that he is as frustrated with this incompetence as the rest of us. This cannot possibly be the web hosts first rodeo1, so it is almost amazing how badly they handled it.

If the old databases are restored, we will lose the last few days worth of posts. That would be a small price to pay for getting back the last month worth of posts.

1 first time doing this kind of work

:) :) :)

ttnlbtpd

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 06:38:44 AM »
Question.

I have pictures that didn't come back at the gallery after the transfer. Should I just re-upload them, or will they be coming back slowly?
Tough Times Never Last But Tough People Do!
Gallery: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12735

Camp

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
  • Dottie, 6/14/06, F14/B5SE
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 08:21:08 AM »
Question.

I have pictures that didn't come back at the gallery after the transfer. Should I just re-upload them, or will they be coming back slowly?

Reload it.

If we ask Hostgator, they are likely to send us back to October 5, 1955.

Talking Doll Since May 26, 2004

"The louder he spoke of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
ttnlbtpd,

I would recommend uploading the lost pictures now. At worst, Coppermine Photo Gallery handles duplicate uploads by appending "~0" (zero) to the first duplicate. Further duplicates go up in number (example: "~1"). If your other pictures magically reappear, you can always delete the ones that you do not want to keep.

;) ;) ;)

noquiexis

• Sr. Resident
  • Northwest Ohio USA
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »
     Among those giant steps backward after the server migration, add this one to the list. Our Doll Community Forum used to have the capability to correctly display non-English characters. This capability was enabled by the UTF-8 Unicode Language pack provided by Simple Machines Forum.

If you look at the signature in mi6c's Profile, or the Russian spelling on Feodora's Profile, you will see the faulty characters. Either the SMF language files are corrupt, or the database is corrupt (more likely of the two), or both are corrupt. Frankly I am surprised that this forum is operating at all.

Considering the other problems that currently plague ODC, this is a minor glitch. There are rumors that ourdoll1 may update the website software, which should take care of some of the current problems. This software update is something that I and a few members of this forum (but NOT including litlluvr) have been waiting on for years.

Note to readers: This post has been copied to the Arimecibo Island Forum for reference, and in case of tampering.

:-X :-X :-X

litlluvr

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »
This software update is something that I and a few members of this forum (but NOT including litlluvr) have been waiting on for years.

Well... Due to you telling us what is best on OURDOLL-1's FORUM and "The Few Members" , look at the nice mess
that has been created and now Ourdoll is doing his best to rectify it.

I also want to take time to Thank those who were understanding about this and have re-posted your content. Thanks for
your efforts.

Take care. litlluvr.