Author Topic: Doll decapitated during shipping  (Read 1356 times)

YKW

• Resident
Doll decapitated during shipping
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »
I purchased a beautiful Sin from DJ Darth and hired Seko to ship her to me. The whole process was handled beautifully & professionally by all parties but when she arrived and I opened the crate door this is what I was met with:

Has anyone experienced shipping damage like this? The crate had wheels so it seemed it could be moved easily enough. The crate itself was undamaged.

YKW

• Resident
Re: Doll decapitated during shipping
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
A few more angles:

Doc Brown

• Sr. Resident
  • Old enough to play with dolls
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
Yo , dat's foo up!

oleesheetmon

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:02 PM »

I had a similar experience back in 2011 with a doll I purchased in China.  Doll was sent in cardboard with little if any packing material.  She was also decapitated, foot broken off, huge tears in the "skin" end damage everywhere else as well.  Fighting to get my money back was an ordeal - we went back and forth for weeks as they tried blaming me for all the problems.  Long story short - I got my money back but a very ugly experience.

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »
Yes and no.

Yes, when my 1H arrived in Feb of 2011, she was decapitated, and come to think of it, so was my RD Body 5 when she arrived in January of 2009 as well. But both to far less catastrophic degrees than this.

My 1H arrived with the mounting plate in the skull shattered. Yes, the skull/head was ruined, but the body was completely intact, so only the head needed to be replaced. This was in the standard Sinthetics shipping box.

My RD arrived with the head still attached to the body, in the crate, but the Hex Head Bolt that secures the head to the neck had backed out completely. This was also a very simple fix of just screwing the bolt back in. Scary to see at first, but not that big a deal. This happened in a RD crate, just like the one you received the Sinth in.

Here's where my 1H experience aligns with yours. The Cruciform where the spine, two shoulders and neck all meet is sheared in half with this doll. In both my Sinth 1H and my LD Body2, there was damage to that cruciform part, which we (the forum) brainstormed a way to repair and reinforce, and then fixed at DollStock in 2013 or 2014. Sinthetics revised the parts used in that section of the doll after my doll(s) had her problem there, and this type of breaking has been eliminated in all but the most extreme cases of abuse.

Based on your pictures, I cannot fathom how this happened, other than possibly extreme mishandling of the crate by the shipping personnel.
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

ttnlbtpd

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
That eye bolt looks too big for the hanging stud. That is messed up.
Tough Times Never Last But Tough People Do!
Gallery: http://www.ourdollcommunity.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12735

Baby Ammie

• New Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »
if she fell out when you opened crate.. only thing holding her in there was the eyebolt... should have had atleast 1 strap to keep her from bouncing around to much

YKW

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
Yes and no.

Yes, when my 1H arrived in Feb of 2011, she was decapitated, and come to think of it, so was my RD Body 5 when she arrived in January of 2009 as well. But both to far less catastrophic degrees than this.

My 1H arrived with the mounting plate in the skull shattered. Yes, the skull/head was ruined, but the body was completely intact, so only the head needed to be replaced. This was in the standard Sinthetics shipping box.

My RD arrived with the head still attached to the body, in the crate, but the Hex Head Bolt that secures the head to the neck had backed out completely. This was also a very simple fix of just screwing the bolt back in. Scary to see at first, but not that big a deal. This happened in a RD crate, just like the one you received the Sinth in.

Here's where my 1H experience aligns with yours. The Cruciform where the spine, two shoulders and neck all meet is sheared in half with this doll. In both my Sinth 1H and my LD Body2, there was damage to that cruciform part, which we (the forum) brainstormed a way to repair and reinforce, and then fixed at DollStock in 2013 or 2014. Sinthetics revised the parts used in that section of the doll after my doll(s) had her problem there, and this type of breaking has been eliminated in all but the most extreme cases of abuse.

Based on your pictures, I cannot fathom how this happened, other than possibly extreme mishandling of the crate by the shipping personnel.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I appreciate your time & knowledge.

I'm sorry you've experienced so many shipping issues--now I know first hand how bad that feels. And I have to agree with your assessment that the crate was mishandled. in fact upon close scrutiny I just found some suspicious scratches, as if the thing slipped off a fork lift, and impact cracks. If this crate was dropped, straight down, all the force would be on the neck and the head would tear from the body. And that's exactly what happened.

YKW

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:39:03 PM »
if she fell out when you opened crate.. only thing holding her in there was the eyebolt... should have had atleast 1 strap to keep her from bouncing around to much

A strap? That's interesting. Does Abyss use a strap when shipping their dolls? That would certainly help keep a doll from being the victim of a pendulous force.

incred

• Sr. Resident
  • Bay State
    • Incredidoll
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »
Good observation TT. RD uses a smaller eye and washers to tightly secure the doll and then lots of foam to keep her from moving.

However it looks like this may not even helped. The plastic cross broke from the stress, and didn't have the metal reinforcing straps used in later models on the cross.

In any case you will need to replace the plastic cross. Actually with this much damage it looks like it might be fairly easy. 
The hard part would be gluing the skin back together

YKW

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:49:26 PM »
Good observation TT. RD uses a smaller eye and washers to tightly secure the doll and then lots of foam to keep her from moving.

However it looks like this may not even helped. The plastic cross broke from the stress, and didn't have the metal reinforcing straps used in later models on the cross.

In any case you will need to replace the plastic cross. Actually with this much damage it looks like it might be fairly easy. 
The hard part would be gluing the skin back together

All good points, and much appreciated. This business & shipping arrangements for this deal were so simple, efficient and expertly done I wish no one was to blame. But as they say shit happens. Hopefully the resolution to said shit will be as simple, efficient and expertly done as the business & shipping arrangements.

On a separate note: Jiminy Christmas that red-haired doll of yours is mesmerizing!

belshanar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 10:28:24 PM »
A follow up question. Were there any "this end up" markings on the crate? Were you able to observe the crate being removed from the delivery truck.

Reason for these questions: These crates (from Abyss/RealDoll) are meant to be shipped horizontally, with the doll laying down (as if sleeping). Regardless of the neck bolt size of a Sinth relative to a RealDoll, if the crate was shipped vertically, it was shipped incorrectly. Even with a strap, and all of the foam that Abyss uses (which it looks as though the doll had almost all of the standard Abyss foam, and certainly all of the pertinent foam in this case), if the doll and crate are shipped vertically, it will not matter. Especially in this case. Scuff marks and scratches don't necessarily mean anything in a cargo shipping situation on a wooden crate. They are to be expected and are unavoidable.

However, those cracks should not be there, unless DJ Darth can show that they were present before the doll and crate were picked up by the shipping company.  Opening up a crate from Abyss / RealDoll is not necessarily the easiest task. My first RD had a lot of self-reinforcing nails used that made disassembling the crate quite the challenge, and resulted in a lot of the wood cracking. More recently (at least as recently as 2015), the crates are assembled only with screws, which makes taking them apart, and putting them together at a later date much easier and far less destructive.

Still, I would err on the side of shipping error and mishandling. As you said, shit happens. This is why we insure our dolls when we ship them for their original purchase amount or more.
Dude! Look out for that.......    tree.  That had to hurt.

Sophia - Miss Feb Boy Toy+; Amberly - Lovable Doll B2 (Yvette head) shares a body with Kara (Alicia Head); Ginger -  Sinthetics B1H+ (Celeste Head); Ki - Sinthetics B2D (Alicia head). These two Sinthetics dolls also share Emma (Celeste head), Danielle (Tawney head), Yuki (Kimiko head) and Freja (Willow head) between themselves; Unnamed Passion Doll 163cm with unnamed Penelope and Bambi heads.

YKW

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
A follow up question. Were there any "this end up" markings on the crate? Were you able to observe the crate being removed from the delivery truck.

Reason for these questions: These crates (from Abyss/RealDoll) are meant to be shipped horizontally, with the doll laying down (as if sleeping). Regardless of the neck bolt size of a Sinth relative to a RealDoll, if the crate was shipped vertically, it was shipped incorrectly. Even with a strap, and all of the foam that Abyss uses (which it looks as though the doll had almost all of the standard Abyss foam, and certainly all of the pertinent foam in this case), if the doll and crate are shipped vertically, it will not matter. Especially in this case. Scuff marks and scratches don't necessarily mean anything in a cargo shipping situation on a wooden crate. They are to be expected and are unavoidable.

However, those cracks should not be there, unless DJ Darth can show that they were present before the doll and crate were picked up by the shipping company.  Opening up a crate from Abyss / RealDoll is not necessarily the easiest task. My first RD had a lot of self-reinforcing nails used that made disassembling the crate quite the challenge, and resulted in a lot of the wood cracking. More recently (at least as recently as 2015), the crates are assembled only with screws, which makes taking them apart, and putting them together at a later date much easier and far less destructive.

Still, I would err on the side of shipping error and mishandling. As you said, shit happens. This is why we insure our dolls when we ship them for their original purchase amount or more.

Were you able to observe the crate being removed from the delivery truck.

Yes, Seko removed the crate from their truck vertically. Abyss ships laying flat? i did not know that. Interesting. This particular crate has four wheels on the bottom (vertically configured). I expect the seller added the wheels for mobility and maybe even the markings you cited.

Thank you for your time & effort on this subject. it's been an education.

YKW

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »
Does anyone know a skilled doll surgeon in California, Nevada or Arizona?

litlluvr

• Town Council
  • Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 02:16:55 AM »
Just to let folks know and YKW, Sinthetics has never shipped it's dolls in wooden crates hanging from an eyebolt.
They have always used heavy duty double cardboard boxing with the doll wrapped up in bubble packing and also
have the doll inside a cloth bag of sorts.

Take care. litlluvr, Yoshe, Amiko, Marla, and Michiko.